"RoslynParser.ForceReparseText" deadlocks in 9.5.7

I moved from 9.5.4 to 9.5.7 and observe a application deadlock in our “SnippetParser” based sample.

It can easily reproduced by taking the “SnippetParser” sample, updating all package references to 9.5.7 and adding this line the the end of “Form1.UpdateVBSource” (I used the SnippetParser sample from my 9.5 installation, not from your github).

this.vbMethodParser.ForceReparseText();

Then launch the sample and click the “Visual Basic” radio button:

Modified sample code is also here: https://www.hg-online.de/downloads/wknauf/SnippetsParsers_2024-07-18.zip

Probably, calling “Task.Wait” in a WinForms environment always bears the danger of deadlocks.

Is it safe to use “ForceReparseTextAsync(true, CancellationToken.None)” instead?

I run into a similar issue some time ago, but could work around it here (https://forum.alternetsoft.com/t/lock-in-roslynparser-forcereparsetext/336). But now it happens always.

As far as I remember, I added the call to “ForceReparseText” because the editor might display wrong compile error for a short time before the code parsing was finished.

And unfortunately, we use “ForceReparseText” also to create a report for a bunch of scripts: we create an invisible SyntaxEdit control, set VB.NET and call “ForceReparseText”, then export the code editor content to RTF. This would of course not work with “ForceReparseTextAsync”, so we would have to switch to async rendering I fear.

Best regards

Wolfgang

PS: I will be on vacation for the next two weeks, so don’t expect fast replies from me.

Hi Wolfgang,

We have reproduced this issue, and it seems to be caused by moving to the latest Microsoft Code analysis version (4.10). With 4.8 ForceReparsing still works fine.

We will try to find the root reason for the deadlock, but if you could use await ForceReparseTextAsync, this would definitely be a safer option.

BTW, if you need to do an invisible task, you can use a parser without syntax edit control like this:

async Task DoSomething(string fileName)
{
    var list = new StringList();
    list.LoadFile(fileName);
    parser.Prepare(fileName, list);
    await parser.ForceReparseTextAsync(true, CancellationToken.None);
}

main code:

await DoSomething(fileName);

Kind regards,
Dmitry

Thanks for the feedback.

As to my experience, waiting for a Task is in most situations not possible in WinForms apps. I had rare cases where it worked, but I don’t know why ;-).

I need the SyntaxEdit to save the content to RTF, wich I use for printing:

syntaxEdit.SaveStream(textWriter, new RtfExport());

This is probably not possible without a SyntaxEdit control?

Best regards

Wolfgang

Hi Torsten,

This seems to be working for me, but if you could avoid using Wait(), it would work best.

Task.Run(() => this.vbMethodParser.ForceReparseTextAsync(true, System.Threading.CancellationToken.None)).Wait();

This is probably not possible without a SyntaxEdit control?

Yes, for now, saving in RTF requires SyntaxEdit control. Potentially, we can make it work with TextSource if needed.

Kind regards,
Dmitry

Hi Dmitry,

thanks, I will continue working on “ForceReparseTextAsync” after my vacation.

Best regards

Wolfgang