How to add missing AlterNET components to toolbox

After a recent update to 7.2, the Toolbox seems to have “lost” the AlterNET components (I’m currently working with the WinForms version). I added a reference to AlterNET.Common and AlterNET.Editor.Common DLLs but still nothing in the Toolbox. I have other vendor tabs appearing and want to add the AlterNET components. Reset will get rid of everything (also not desirable) so any advise how to do this in a way that doesn’t mess up other tabs in the Toolbox will be appreciated.

And yes, I tried a “Repair” re-installation with Visual Studio shut down. It did not restore the AlterNET components to the Toolbox as I had hoped.

Through trial and error I was able to add most, if not all, the WinForms components to the toolbar manually by selecting DLLs in the Bin directory of the AlterNET installation via “Add items…” after manually creating the “AlterNET Code Editor v7” tab, but I’m not really sure I got them all, and already can’t remember which DLLs kicked back the “no components found” error. Does the following look right?

toolbox-components

So a definitive list of what DLLs to include to get all the components that are supposed to show up would be helpful for future reference. (I wish the “Add items…” tool kept track of what DLLs were added for easy reference, but it does not appear to.)

Related question: How do I verify/ensure that the *.Design.dll binaries are properly registered in VS to help with runtime design?

Hello,

Since it is up to Visual Studio’s toolbox to auto-populate itself from the registered assemblies (such as the AlterNET Studio assemblies), we usually advice to reset the toolbox for the items to appear.
If reset is not an option for you, here is the list of the assemblies which get registered in toolbox on install:

Alternet.Editor.Wpf.v7.dll
Alternet.Editor.v7.dll
Alternet.Scripter.Debugger.UI.v7.dll
Alternet.FormDesigner.TypeScript.v7.dll
Alternet.FormDesigner.Wpf.v7.dll
Alternet.FormDesigner.v7.dll
Alternet.Scripter.Debugger.UI.WPF.v7.dll
Alternet.Scripter.TypeScript.Debugger.v7.dll
Alternet.Scripter.TypeScript.Debugger.UI.Wpf.v7.dll
Alternet.Scripter.Debugger.v7.dll
Alternet.Scripter.IronPython.Debugger.v7.dll
Alternet.Scripter.IronPython.v7.dll
Alternet.Scripter.IronPython.Debugger.v7.dll
Alternet.Scripter.TypeScript.Debugger.UI.v7.dll
Alternet.Scripter.TypeScript.v7.dll
Alternet.Scripter.v7.dll
Alternet.Syntax.Parsers.Advanced.Python.v7.dll
Alternet.Syntax.Parsers.Advanced.v7.dll
Alternet.Syntax.Parsers.Clangd.Embedded.v7.dll
Alternet.Syntax.Parsers.Clangd.v7.dll
Alternet.Syntax.Parsers.Generic.v7.dll
Alternet.Syntax.Parsers.Java.Embedded.v7.dll
Alternet.Syntax.Parsers.Java.v7.dll
Alternet.Syntax.Parsers.Lsp.v7.dll
Alternet.Syntax.Parsers.Lua.Embedded.v7.dll
Alternet.Syntax.Parsers.Lua.v7.dll
Alternet.Syntax.Parsers.PowerShell.Embedded.v7.dll
Alternet.Syntax.Parsers.PowerShell.v7.dll
Alternet.Syntax.Parsers.Python.Embedded.v7.dll
Alternet.Syntax.Parsers.Python.v7.dll
Alternet.Syntax.Parsers.Roslyn.v7.dll
Alternet.Syntax.Parsers.TypeScript.v7.dll
Alternet.Syntax.Parsers.XAML.v7.dll
Alternet.Syntax.Parsers.Xml.Embedded.v7.dll
Alternet.Syntax.Parsers.Xml.v7.dll
Alternet.Syntax.v7.dll

Also here is a screenshot of the toolbox with all AlterNET Studio components installed:

How do I verify/ensure that the *.Design.dll binaries are properly registered in VS to help with runtime design?

Here is an example of one the Windows Forms Editor custom property editors (see the NavigateOptions property):
You can you open a form with Editor on it, select the editor and check if this custom editor (the check box drop-down list) is present. If it is present, the design assemblies are working as intended.

OK I have installed 7.2 on a machine with VS2022 and neither the toolbox nor the designers seem installed. I was able to add all the components into one grab-bag toolbox tab, but the checkboxes for multiple selection items as illustrated above do not work. Is there a way manually to install the designers so VS2022?

Do you have the design assemblies in the folder next to the assemblies you added to the toolbox?
The design assemblies are:

Alternet.Editor.Design.v7.dll
Alternet.Editor.Wpf.v7.Design.dll
Alternet.FormDesigner.Wpf.v7.Design.dll
Alternet.Scripter.Debugger.UI.Wpf.v7.Design.dll
Alternet.Scripter.Design.v7.dll
Alternet.Syntax.Design.v7.dll

Also, we expect to release AlterNET Studio 8 with Visual Studio 2022 support this week.

Yes, I see them there. But VS2022 didn’t automatically pick them up, I gather.

In the meantime for those properties with flag attributes I fiddle with them in the constructor programmatically. It’s not a big problem so far. Looking forward to V8!